20+ Years Experience
Specialist Concrete Repair
Concrete fence posts and gravel boards are an essential part of any sturdy and long-lasting fencing system. They provide stability, durability, and protection to your fence. Here is your step-by-step guide to installing concrete fence posts and gravel boards for your fencing needs.
Concrete Fence Posts: Concrete fence posts are robust and durable vertical structures that hold the fence panels securely in place. They are made of high-quality concrete, ensuring longevity and strength.
Gravel Boards: Gravel boards are horizontal panels placed at the bottom of the fence panels. They provide additional support and protection by preventing direct contact between the fence panels and the ground. Gravel boards also help prevent rotting and prolong the life of your fence.
Why Choose Concrete Fence Posts and Gravel Boards? Concrete fence posts and gravel boards offer several advantages over other materials. They are resistant to rot, decay, and insect damage, making them ideal for outdoor use. They require minimal maintenance, providing a cost-effective and long-lasting fencing solution for your property.
To install concrete fence posts and gravel boards, you will need a few essential tools and materials:
Tools: Some of the tools you will need include a spirit level, tape measure, post hole digger, shovel, hammer, spirit level, string line, and a power drill.
Materials: The materials required for this project include concrete fence posts, gravel boards, fence panels, screws, nails, postcrete (fast-setting concrete), and wood preservative.
Follow the step-by-step guide provided below to install concrete fence posts and gravel boards successfully:
Step 1: Planning and Preparation
Step 2: Marking the Fence Line
Step 3: Digging the Post Holes
Step 4: Setting the Fence Posts
Step 5: Installing Gravel Boards
Step 6: Attaching Fence Panels
Step 7: Finishing Touches
Here are some additional tips to keep in mind while installing concrete fence posts and gravel boards. Also, proper maintenance and care for these components will help ensure their longevity and durability.
By following this step-by-step guide and implementing these tips, you can install concrete fence posts and gravel boards effectively, providing a robust and aesthetically pleasing fence for your property.
Concrete fence posts and gravel boards are essential components in the installation of a sturdy and durable fence. Here is a list of key points to understand what concrete fence posts and gravel boards are:
1. Concrete fence posts: These are vertical structures made of solid concrete, typically rectangular or square in shape. They provide the main support for the fence panels. Concrete fence posts are known for their strength and durability, ensuring a long-lasting fence.
2. Gravel boards: Gravel boards are horizontal panels made of concrete. They are typically placed at the bottom of the fence, between the ground and the fence panels. Gravel boards serve multiple purposes, including preventing direct contact between the fence and the ground, minimising the risk of rot or damage, and providing extra stability to the fence.
3. Material composition: Both concrete fence posts and gravel boards are made using a mixture of cement, aggregates, and reinforcing materials. This composition ensures their strength and resistance to external factors such as weathering and pressure.
4. Varied sizes and designs: Concrete fence posts and gravel boards come in various sizes and designs to accommodate different fence styles and heights. It is essential to select the appropriate size based on the fence’s requirements and the level of security or privacy desired.
5. Installation process: Concrete fence posts and gravel boards are typically installed by digging holes for the posts, securing them firmly in the ground, and then attaching the fence panels to the posts. This ensures a stable and secure fence structure.
Understanding what concrete fence posts and gravel boards are is crucial for a successful fence installation. They provide the necessary support, stability, and protection for a reliable and long-lasting fence.
Concrete fence posts and gravel boards have numerous benefits, making them a wise choice for your fencing needs. Here are the reasons why you should choose concrete fence posts and gravel boards:
1. Durability: Concrete fence posts and gravel boards are extremely sturdy and long-lasting. They can withstand harsh weather conditions, providing a secure and stable foundation for your fence.
2. Strength: Concrete is a strong material that can support heavy panels and withstand pressure from wind or leaning. This ensures that your fence remains upright and intact for years to come.
3. Low maintenance: Unlike wooden posts that require regular maintenance and are prone to rotting or warping, concrete posts and gravel boards are virtually maintenance-free. They do not need to be treated or painted, saving you time and effort.
4. Cost-effective: Although concrete fence posts and gravel boards may have a higher upfront cost compared to other materials, their durability and low maintenance make them a cost-effective choice in the long run. You won’t need to worry about frequent repairs or replacements.
5. Security: Concrete fence posts provide added security to your property. Their strength and durability make it difficult for intruders to breach your fence, ensuring the safety of your home or business.
By choosing concrete fence posts and gravel boards, you can enjoy a strong, durable, and low-maintenance fencing solution. With their longevity, strength, and security benefits, they are a practical choice for any fencing project.
When installing concrete fence posts and gravel boards, you will require the following tools and materials:
By ensuring you have the necessary tools and materials, you will be prepared to successfully install concrete fence posts and gravel boards.
By following this step-by-step guide, you can successfully install concrete fence posts and gravel boards for your fence.
Maintenance and care for concrete fence posts and gravel boards are vital to ensure their longevity and effectiveness as part of your fence structure. Here are the steps to properly maintain and care for them:
Pro-tip: Consider applying a protective coating, such as a clear silicone coating, to the top of the concrete fence posts to prevent water from infiltrating the post and causing damage.
To install concrete fence posts, start by digging a hole that is around 2ft deep and the appropriate distance apart for your fence panels. Position the post in the hole and ensure it is aligned properly. Fill the holes with approximately 40kg of quick-set concrete mix, adding water as needed, and hold the posts in place until the concrete starts to set. Wait overnight for the concrete to cure before slotting fence panels into the posts.
Concrete fence posts have many advantages, including their strength, durability, resistance to rot, ability to withstand high winds, and low maintenance requirements. They are not susceptible to insect attack and have a long lifespan. Concrete fence posts can also be easily dropped into position and offer better security compared to other materials.
There are three types of concrete fence posts: corner posts, intermediate posts, and end posts. Corner posts accommodate two fence panels at a right angle, intermediate posts join two fence panels end-to-end, and end posts complete the end of a run of fence panels. Slotted posts have a groove to slot in fence panels, while morticed posts have pre-drilled holes and notches for rails.
To fix fence panels to slotted concrete posts, simply slot the panels into the grooves of the posts. You can also use gravel boards to provide additional stability. Rubbing an old candle on the post grooves makes it easier to slide in the gravel board and fence panel. Make sure the panels are properly aligned and secure to prevent any damage or potential security risks.
The recommended depth for installing concrete fence posts is around 2ft. However, you should also consider the height of the fence panel and gravel board when determining the hole depth. This will ensure that the fence is sturdy, stable, and able to withstand high winds. Proper depth is crucial to prevent the fence from being easily pulled off or damaged.
You can order concrete for your fence post installation from Total Concrete. They offer QSRMC concrete mixed to your requirements and deliver it directly to your site. Total Concrete serves customers in Woking, Guildford, Surrey, and beyond. Contact their team at 0800 859 5371 to place an order.
We Aim To Reply To All Enquiries With-in 24-Hours